Master in Agroecology & Plant Health
Graduates of the Agroecology and Plant Health teaching program at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem acquire the knowledge required for dealing with agricultural and environmental issues using a multi-disciplinary approach based on ecological principles.
Non-Thesis Track: Approx. $5,300 for international students per year
Thesis Track: Approx. $280 per year
Areas of teaching include:
- General biological studies
- The dynamics of plant diseases in agroecological systems
- Pests and beneficial insects in agroecological systems
- The interactions between agroecological systems and natural systems
- Beneficial soil organisms
- Dealing with pests from an environmental perspective
- Organic agriculture
- Inter-plant interactions in agricultural systems
The program brings together teachers specializing in various areas, ranging from environmental microbiology, biotechnology and genetic engineering, ecology, insect physiology and behavior, to epidemiology of plant disease and controlling them using environmentally friendly means. The teachers are united by their interest in organisms which are beneficial or harmful to mankind, to its enterprises or to its environment. The teachers focus on five different levels – the molecular and cellular levels, the organism as a whole, research of populations and the interactions between different organisms. This wide-angled approach is also reflected in the curriculum.
The master’s program places an emphasis on deepening the specialization in the areas of entomology, microbiology, phytopathology (plant diseases), nematology and virology, as well as studying and developing novel approaches to plant and environment protection. Naturally, this academic stage includes basic research in the department teachers’ areas of research.
If you are interested in studying and understanding complex natural and agricultural systems which are host to interactions among various organisms, you belong with us!
- Bachelors degree from a recognized university
- “B” average in undergraduate studies or its equivalent. These are the minimum admission requirements. Many departments are selective and require a higher grade average.
- Additional exams may be required, such as the GRE or GMAT.
- Knowledge of English: All candidates are required to meet English proficiency requirements as listed in the program website. TOEFL and IELTS are recognized.
Meet our students
Orit Berhani, PhD Student
Why study with us?
Location - Jerusalem
Study in one of the most ancient cities in the world, today a colourful carpet of cultures and peoples, innovative technology and entrepreneurial spirit
A tradition of innovation at the start up nation led for nearly 10K patents, 150 new inventions per year and over 600 commercial products
Academic & Research Excellence
Hebrew University faculty and alumni have won eight Nobel Prizes, one Fields Medal and 14 Wolf Prizes, among others