M.A. in Archaeology and the Ancient Near East
Join the Archaeology and the Ancient Near East program and study with leading faculty members at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
|US$ 11,400 / year
The Hebrew University’s Institute of Archaeology, in conjunction with the Rothberg International School, offers a degree combining formal classroom studies and hands-on field experience at excavations and surveys. The M.A. in Archaeology & the Ancient Near East examines the history and culture of ancient Israel during the Bronze and Iron Ages. Students will acquire proficiency in the academic fields of archaeology, ancient texts, and ancient languages.
In the classroom, you will study with leading members of the Hebrew University faculty. In the field, you will complement your studies as a participant in major excavations and surveys, where you will gain hands-on experience. In your scholarly analysis, you will be aided by the cutting-edge facilities of the Institute of Archaeology, including the Computerized Archaeological Laboratory (with 3D scanning), the Laboratory for Archaeological Materials and Ancient Technologies, and the Institute’s renowned Collection Room.
The program’s Jerusalem location provides students with direct access to important archaeological sites, museums, and other world-renowned facilities.
Why join the Archaeology and the Ancient Near East at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem?
- Participate in major archaeological excavations and surveys
- Gain access to our cutting-edge analytic laboratories
- Live in Jerusalem, a historical city and access point to important archaeological sites and museums
- Bachelors degree from a recognized university
- “B” average in undergraduate studies or its equivalent. These are the minimum admission requirements. Many departments are selective and require a higher grade average.
- Additional exams may be required, such as the GRE or GMAT.
- Knowledge of English: All candidates are required to meet English proficiency requirements as listed in the program website. TOEFL and IELTS are recognized.
Meet our students
Orit Berhani, PhD Student
Why study with us?
Location - Jerusalem
Study in one of the most ancient cities in the world, today a colourful carpet of cultures and peoples, innovative technology and entrepreneurial spirit
A tradition of innovation at the start up nation led for nearly 10K patents, 150 new inventions per year and over 600 commercial products
Academic & Research Excellence
Hebrew University faculty and alumni have won eight Nobel Prizes, one Fields Medal and 14 Wolf Prizes, among others